Khaiim The RapOet
During creation of a collaborative performance piece (in the genre of Rap/Hip-Hop/Spoken Word poetry) students increase awareness of how rhythm (the use of repetition, tempo, and order) is used to enhance poetry, music, and communication between students and teachers. Students will work on composition as well as public speaking skills.
About the Artist
Khaiim Kelly is a performer of Hip-Hop, Spoken Word, Rap, and Poetry. The Rapoet does performances, lectures, and workshops at venues ranging from schools and colleges, receiving praise from poets like Alice Walker and MCs like Talib Kweli. Recently, he performed at Yale University, conducted Hartford Performs School workshops, Hartford Hip-Hop Festival rocked the International Hip-Hop Festival with KRS ONE, and enrolled a new class of students (for the 2010-2011 school year) in his RapOetry Workshop. His new album is “Manhattan Night” has been released. When not performing, recording, or teaching RapOetry classes, he offers one day RapOetry Workshops and Lectures.
4 sessions per class (and an optional recording session for exceptional students). During creation of a collaborative performance piece (in the genre of Rap/Hip-Hop/Spoken Word poetry) students increase awareness of how rhythm (the use of repetition, tempo, and order) is used to enhance poetry, music, and even communication between students and teachers. The content of the piece is either A. Original, B. Based on host teacher’s current subject, or C. Based on a famous work.
Lectures are geared for students and teachers who are already involved in the fields of Rap, Poetry, or making a living as a Professional Artist. Topics may be either A. based on the 1-Day Workshops, B. based on the hosting teacher’s interest, or C. listed below.
- Free-styling & Improvisation: explore improvisation in rapping, and in general
- Merit vs. Credit: explore the nexus of showcasing, judging, and marketing talent
- Promotional Tools: explore affordable ways to create, package, and sell your art
- Battling: explore the often misunderstood purpose and tradition of rap battles
- Feature the RapOet rapping, reciting poetry, or a mixture of both. Performances can be accompanied by B-Boying, Live Painting, Live Musicians, a DJ, an Open Mic, a
- Workshop, a Lecture, and/or additional Lyricists
Call the office at 203-230-8101 for pricing.